He made special studies of insurance company plaques and the City of London coal and wine tax posts. Baker and the Surrey Industrial History Group ; drawings - Rowena Oliver, Pamela Haveron and J. PUBLIC SERVICES Water : Gas : Electricity : Telephones : Sewerage E. Much of the machinery still survives, but the wheels lie a-mouldering outside. For a long period there were probably two mills on the site, corn grinding and industrial use proceeding simultaneously. (TQ114688) These were erected under an Act of Parliament of 1810 to improve the navigation of the Thames. (TQ151687) Authorised under an amending Act of 1812, but not opened until 1815. Built in 1964, of a single steel box girder with treads, to connect Eyot House, formerly the home of Rupert D'Oyley Carte, with the mainland. The first, opened in 1750, was built of wood in three arches, with smaller arches leading to it; the second was of brick and stone in four arches, opened in 1786; this collapsed in August 1859 and was replaced by a wrought-iron girder structure, designed by E. As a 'temporary' measure, it was by-passed by a "Callender-Hamilton" type bridge which is still used. (TQ154685) There have also been four bridges at this point. This structure, too, was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens in the same style and using the same materials as the main bridge. They were replaced by wrought-iron girder bridges in the 1880s. (TQ130645) This bridge, which was named after the Duchess of Albany who lived in nearby Claremont, connects Esher to Hersham. However, this listed Grade II monument has now been restored to its former glory. 64 , February 1976) Richard Sisley: "The London Water Supply. Stonebanks; "Enlightened Weybridge" (WWLHS, Monograph No.19,1974) John A.He also wrote three of the "Walks" series round East Molesey, Thames Ditton and Weston Green. TRAVEL Railways : Roads : Horse and cattle troughs : Rivers : Canals F. The mill is a listed Grade II building, and the Cobham Conservation Group has plans to restore both it and the machinery. The history of the place chronicles a series of disastrous fires - in 1853, 1877, 1898, 1902, 1908, and the last in an adjacent workshop in 1978. The original lock-keeper's house for Sunbury Lock still stands by the towpath at Walton-on-Thames. The third bridge stood as a rusting hulk for many years and was finally dismantled in 1985. The first, of timber in seven arches, opened in 1753; the second, also of timber in eleven arches, in 1778; the third, of wrought-iron girders on cast-iron columns in five arches, in 1865; the fourth, of ferro-concrete with brick and stone facings, designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, opened in 1933. It is seen to best advantage either from the railway station or the forecourt of the adjacent petrol station. That over the Ember was demolished in 1985 as part of the flood prevention scheme, and was replaced by a concrete structure. An ornamental timber bridge, thought to have been built early in Victoria's reign, was replaced by a stone parapet bridge in 1907. (TQ099605) It is thought that there has been a bridge on this site from at least the twelfth century, as a plaque on the present bridge indicates. (TQ107595) This bridge, like Cobham, was a medieval foundation, and was also re-built in 1786 by Gwilt in a similar style. Stonebanks: "Electricity Undertakings in Walton and Weybridge" (WWLHS, Monograph No.23,1975) John A. In addition, I would like to acknowledge with thanks the help given by the following:- Julian Temple of the Brooklands Museum, Dudley Geoghagan and A. Hutchings of the Brooklands Society, Professor Alan Crocker for proof reading, Rowena Oliver for producing nearly all of the line drawings from Rowland Baker's photographs, J. The Surrey Industrial History Group are grateful to the Surrey Archaeological Society for their financial help in the publication of this book.
Francis Haveron (Series Editor) Surrey Industrial History Group, Surrey Archaeological Society, Castle Arch, Guildford, Surrey. The older mill was then demolished to straighten the course of the road, a sacrifice to the ubiquitous motor car and an undoubted advantage for road transport but an irrevocable destruction of a very pleasant visual harmony. The tower has been restored by Surrey County Council and the Surrey Historic Buildings Trust to mark the centenary of the County Council with accommodation for a resident warden, a museum and the restored signalling apparatus. The first a wheel, thirty-six feet in diameter, with paddles around its circumference, turned by the flow of the stream, and with four leather tubes curved to the axis, which scooped up the water and delivered it to the middle where it flowed out of a trough and so into the lake. Vickers-Armstrongs meanwhile embarked on the design and manufacture of a new generation of aircraft and its successful family of civil airliners included the Viking, Viscount and VC10. A Surrey Ironmaster" (WWLHS, Monograph No.34,1985) G. A History of Film Making in Walton-on-Thames" (Weybridge Museums, 1973) Avril Lansdell: "The Way Navigation" (Elmbridge Borough Council, 1975) Michael Nash: "Early Seventeenth Century Schemes To Make The Wey Navigable' (SAC, Vol.
We have been the top website for Weybridge for over 9 years and are highly ranked on Google.
Events on Mondays in Weybridge & local areas include Yoga Classes, Brownies, Tots & Toddlers Play Groups, Kung Fu & Kick Boxing, Choir Rehearsals, Judo Classes, Hockey Club, Dancing, Pilates lessons, Healthy Walks, Walton & Weybridge Adult Education, Social Club, Talk Workshops & Meetings, NCT ...
Each year we re-invest significant funds into site security and functionality, all to give our valued members the best senior dating experience in the UK.
Aberdeenshire, Anglesey, Avon, Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Caerphilly, Cambridgeshire, Cardiganshire, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Cheshire, Cleveland, Coleraine, Conwy, Cornwall, Cumbria, Denbighshire, Derbyshire, Derry, Devon, Dorset, Dunbartonshire, East Ridings, East Sussex, Essex, Fermanagh, Gloucestershire, Grampian, Greater Manchester, Gwent, Gwynedd, Hampshire, Herefordshire, Hertfordshire, Humberside, Kent, Lancashire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, London, Merseyside, Middlesex, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Northern Ireland, Northumberland, North Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Powys, Scotland, Shropshire, Somerset, South Glamorgan, South Yorkshire, Staffordshire, Suffolk, Surrey, Sussex, Tameside, Teeside, Tyneside, Wales, Warwickshire, West Glamorgan, West Midlands, West Sussex, West Yorkshire, Wiltshire, Worcestershire, Yorkshire.
This is the third booklet of a series being published by the Surrey Industrial History Group describing the industrial archaeological remains to be found in the County of Surrey. The River Mole has been an important source of power for almost as long as man has been settled along its banks. (TQ118583) Originally the mill of the manor of Downe, the site has been used for a number of purposes - grinding corn, paper, iron and tinplate manufacture, producing flock, and the generating of electricity. It bears a stone panel with the words JESSOP'S WELL. It was closed as a fire station in 1961, and is now used by the St John's Ambulance Brigade. In 1930 the engine was moved to a new station by the side of the council offices in Portsmouth Road, and the old premises were adapted as a private dwelling. Purpose built in the flamboyant picture house style of the 1930's. (TQ153682) A purpose built cinema, opened in 1912 as the "East Molesey and Hampton Court Picture Hall", it was purchased by one of the cinema chains in 1932, modernised and re-named "The Court Cinema". (TQ101665) An early purpose built cinema called "The Regent", now used as a showroom by a firm of house furnishers. It was opened as "Weybridge Kinema Theatre" in 1920, later to become "King George's" and then "The County". (TQ083645) A purpose built cinema erected by the Odeon chain in 1934 and closed in 1960. Brooklands also remained at the forefront of aviation design and development after the First World War with the production of the Vickers Vimy [which made the first non-stop transatlantic crossing in 1919] the Hawker Hurricane fighter and the Vickers Wellington bomber being best known.